Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Victor Hugo

Today I was googling one of my favorite books Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Recently, I watched the movie adaptation and soon I hope to re-read the book. I like this quote:

"We should judge a man much more surely from what he dreams than from what he thinks."
--Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, Volume III, Book V, Chapter V


Above is the orgnial advetisment for the publication of Les Miserables in 1886.

I collect a lot of things like smashed pennies and pins from the places I get to visit, but there is nothing better than an old book. Books are more enchanting when you know that many hands have passed over them. However, this would be one of the best books to own even if it is in French and I can't read it. When I look at this picture I hear a church chior in burst into spontaneous song. It's the first edition, of course.








1 comment:

Kitty said...

I wish I could buy you a first edition for your birthday. Wouldn't that be the coolest? Someday when I'm rich and famous, it's yours.
HUGS